Did you make a New Year's Resolution to lose weight or eat healthier? Have you been able to keep this resolution? Many times, people feel that fast food is their downfall. Here are some tips on making better meal choices at the UC Satellite.
When eating fast food, look for meals lower in calories, saturated fat, and sodium - certainly a challenge when it comes to fast food! Below are some healthier meal options that you might find at the Satellite
- Chargrilled Chicken Sandwich (think grilled, not fried!)
- Chargrilled Chicken Salad or Chicken Nuggets
Note: if you must have a side choose waffle fries over the coleslaw – the coleslaw has way more sodium, cholesterol, and fat
- Veggie or Turkey Burger with apple slices or a tossed salad
Note: For extra flavor add guacamole or banana peppers
Taco Bell (many options here):
- Fresco chicken or steak soft tacos, make sure to ask for Fresco style
- Cheesy Nachos
- Doritos Locos
- Gordita Supreme, chicken or steak
- Volcano Taco
Note: Water will be your best beverage options, but a 6-ounce Sparklers, 16-ounce raspberry iced tea, and orange juice are good low calorie options here.
- Chicken supreme, cheese, or veggie lover’s personal pan pizza are your best options for pizza
- Buffalo Wings
- Meaty Marinara Pasta
Note: The pizzas are VERY high in sodium, so have half the pizza with a breadstick and keep the leftovers for lunch the next day
All these are 200 calories or less, making them a great healthy snack or dessert!
- Celestial Cherry High
- Coffee Smoothie Mocha
- Green Tea Tango
- Pineapple Pleasure
- Slim’n’Trim, vanilla or chocolate
- Yogurt D-lite
This blog entry is a guest entry by Katie Mersinger, dietetic intern at the University of Houston.