Happy 2014! As you ring in the New Year, commit to a healthy lifestyle with these food, nutrition and exercise tips.
1. Eat Breakfast. I've said it before, I'll gladly say it again... breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Refuel your body with a balanced breakfast. Think whole grains, low fat dairy, a lean protein and some fresh fruit to get you started. My favorite breakfast on campus is the Perfect Oatmeal form Starbucks. It has fiber and protein to keep me satisfied throughout the morning. Click here for more info.
2. Love Your Fruit & Veggies. Make half your plate fruits and veggies at each meal. I find that it's super easy to eat lots of fruits and veggies on campus. Visit the Fresh Food Company for lunch--- we have an awesome salad bar stocked with delicious seasonal fruits and veggies. Eating the recommened 5 servings per day is simple at Fresh Food!
3. Fix a Snack. When 3 pm rolls around, you may find yourself hungry and tired. Re-energize with a snack from one of our C-Stores. I love the Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus Cup w/ Pretzels. By eating carbs, protein, and heart-healthy fats, this snack is the perfect mid-day pick-me-up.
4. Get Cookin'. Now is the time to learn life skills. You do it already by participating in the academic setting, but what about other important lessons? Stop by our "What's Cooking, Coogs" Cooking Tour. We offer a different cooking class each month and even better... we have prizes! Our next event is Tuesday, February 4th at 7 pm at the Moody Towers Lobby. We're making healthified chicken alfredo... now what college student doesn't love that?
5. Dine Out Defensively. Whether your on campus or off, take time to check out the menu before you leave. If you're eating on campus then you're in luck. Take a look at these Dietitian's Healthy Picks.