Let's take a look at the making of a Good 'Wich vs. Bad 'Wich.
The Good 'Wich: The Bad 'Wich: _
Whole grain bread- has more fiber, protein White bread- less fiber and protein
Lean protein (turkey, chicken, salmon, tuna)- less fat, calories Fatty deli meats (bologna, salami...)- adds fat, calories
Veggies or even slices of apples- adds fiber, texture Lots of avocados or veggies packed in oil- adds fat
Low fat mayo and spreads- less calories, fat Cheese and regular dressings/spreads- adds calories, fat
Luckily, dining locations around UH offer plenty of healthy alternatives to some of your favorites. Here are a few delicious sandwiches that don't pack on calories and fat.
- Einstein Bagel Bros.: For 30% less fat, choose the Southwest Turkey Sausage Bagel Thin
- (350 calories, 14 g fat, 23 g protein, 2 g fiber)
- Chick-fil-A: for a lower fat sandwich, choose the Grilled Chicken Sandwich w/ lettuce and tomoato (hold the mayo and/or sauces)
- 290 calories, 4 g fat, 28 g protein, 1 g saturated fat
- Burger Studio: for 50% less fat and more fiber, choose the Turkey Burger w/ banana peppers, tomato, lettuce and mustard
- 254 calories, 11 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber
- Subway: for a vitamin packed, low calorie meal choose the 6" Veggie Delight on Whole Wheat w/ lots of veggies and brown mustard
- 290 calories, 3.5 g fat, 5 g fiber, 460 mg sodium